Pennsylvania House Museum
Constructed 1838 - 1839, with an 1850's west wing, this three-story brick, Federal-style inn and tavern, nostagically known as "The Old Pennsylvania House", served travelers on the National Road during the short lived coach and wagon era. The Pennsylvania House was the boyhood home of Dr. Isaac Funk, of Funk & Wagnalls dictionary fame, whose parents operated the inn during the 1840's.
David Snively built the Federal-style Pennsylvania House in 1839 along the newly constructed National Road. This tavern and inn was an important stopover for livestock drovers and pioneers traveling by foot, on horseback, or in Conestoga wagons during the nineteenth century westward expansion of the United States. Closed as an inn after the Civil War, it then served as a doctor's clinic, boarding house, and secondhand shop before falling into total disrepair. The Lagonda Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution saved it from demolition in 1939 and have owned and operated it as a museum since.
Located at 1311 West Main St. Springfield, OH
Posted July 10, 2009 at 7:02 AM