Thanks once again to Cheryl Gram for taking these photos! David Crabill and his wife, Barbara Baer or (Bear) came to Ohio in 1808 from the Shenandoah Valley, Virginia. Two of their children, Sarah (2} & Maria 1were born in Virginia and made the trip with them. They moved to Clark County (then Champaign County) about 1812. David fought in the War Of 1812. They were very poor when they arrived with no money to even buy a cow. They lived with and worked for brothers, Thomas and Solomon Voss for a number of years. David worked-in the fields and Barbara kept house for them. They first lived in a log cabin on 160 acres bought in 1816 in Moorefield Township for $480. The brick house was built after 1821 but first appeared on the tax records in 1826 valued at $411. The bricks for the
house were fired on the property. The house was painted white, very possibly from the beginning, but was stripped of its paint in the 1970s.. David died at the age of 57 in 1839. Barbara died in 1863. Upon her death the bachelor brothers, Joseph, Pierson, and William took over the farm. There is very little written about David & Barbara's education or political background, but there is a belief from the research of the Crabills, that they
possibly practiced the Lutheran religion
The Army Corp of Engineers acquired the land in 1966 to prepare for the construction of the Clarence J. Brown Dam & Reservoir. The dam was originally planned for the where the house is located. Someone from the Corp felt that the house was a good example of an early Federal style home and plans were made to change the location of the dam to where it is presently, just south of the house. The house was originally offered to the
Ohio Historical Society, but they declined feeling that they already had enough sites in the stat to maintain. It was then offered to the Clark County Historical Society.